Pet Travel

The team at Mainstay Veterinary Practice
includes USDA Certified Veterinarians.
What does that mean?

If you’re taking a trip out of the country or off of mainland U.S., and want to take your pet with you, you must get a travel certificate for your pet. This requires a health exam by a USDA Certified veterinarian, and that you go through the steps to meet all of the travel requirements. Learn more here or contact us today for help!

  1. The first visit should be made as soon as you know the destination(s) and the requirements of the country/countries of destination.
  2. Some countries have requirements that take 3 to 6 months of preparation.

Helpful Sites

  1. APHIS USDA Pet Travel website (
    · Go to Take your pet FROM the United States TO a foreign country
    · Select the appropriate country from the drop-down list
    · Click view requirements
    · Review the requirements listed for your pet species
    · Click on the Contact your local APHIS-VS Service office drop down list and select Virginia to see the fees and endorsement locations.
  2. Go to the consulate of the country of destination to find the requirements

Client’s Responsibility for First Visit

  1. Mainstay International Health Certificate Form
  2. Mainstay International Health Certificate Agreement
  3. Country of destination specific requirements printed
  4. Country of destination required additional forms (if needed)
  5. Current rabies certificate
  6. Proof of vaccinations
  7. Locate your local USDA endorsement office and determine appropriate fees required for completion of your health certificate
  8. Determine any additional airline requirements and/or forms to be completed

Domestic Health Certificates

(Information coming soon)